The Many Benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide
Benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide ... Index of Diseases / Health Conditions ... Medicinal Foods, Herbs, Spices & Household Items
The below provides a general overview of this topic and may not apply to everyone. Any treatment protocol should be discussed with a qualified healthcare practitioner ... Please refer to: Medical & Legal Disclaimer.
The following information is for educational purposes and is not meant to treat or prescribe. GreenAndHealthy.Info is sharing what others have told us has worked for them as they pursue health for themselves, their pets, and their plants..
- Below instructions pertain to 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (H202) available at all stores. Using stronger concentrations can be hazardous to your health.
- Higher Concentrations H202: If you spill higher hydrogen peroxide concentrations on your skin, flush immediately with water. Avoid any contact with eyes. Keep out of childen's and pets' reach. At high concentration, hydrogen peroxide can be extremely dangerous or even fatal. Any concentrations over 10% can cause neurological reactions and damage to the upper gastrointestinal tract. There have been two known fatalities in children who ingested 27% and 40% concentrations of H202.
- Internal Use: A controversial alternative medical procedure is the inhalation of hydrogen peroxide at a concentration of about 1%. Internal use of hydrogen peroxide has a history of causing fatal blood disorders, and its recent use as a therapeutic treatment has been linked to several deaths. Internal use of H2O2 (no matter what the concentration) is not recommended.
- Persons exposed only to hydrogen peroxide gas do not pose risks of secondary contamination to personnel outside the Hot Zone. However, persons whose clothing or skin is contaminated with concentrated hydrogen peroxide solution can secondarily contaminate personnel by direct contact or through off-gassing vapor. Hydrogen peroxide is a clear, colorless, noncombustible liquid. It is a powerful oxidizing agent; when it comes in contact with organic material, spontaneous combustion can occur. Odor does not provide a warning of hazardous concentrations. Hydrogen peroxide is not absorbed by the skin but can cause systemic toxicity when inhaled or ingested. (Source: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg174.html)
Your body makes hydrogen peroxide to fight infection which must be present for our immune system to function correctly. White blood cells are known as Leukocytes. A sub-class of Leukocytes called Neutrophils produce hydrogen peroxide as the first line of defense against toxins, parasites, bacteria, viruses and yeast.
Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2): Dr. Mercola suggests an unusual, yet effective, trick to beat upper respiratory infections - and that is hydrogen peroxide. He states that many patients have had amazing results curing colds and flu within 12 - 14 hours by administering a few drops of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide into each ear. According to him, one should expect to hear some bubbling and possibly feel a slight stinging sensation. He instructs to wait until the bubbling and stinging subside (typically within 5 to 10 minutes), then drain onto a tissue and repeat with the other ear. More about the Flu
Rejuvenating Detoxifying Bath:
Use about 2 quarts 3% hydrogen peroxide to a tub of warm water. Soak at least 1/2 hour, adding hot water as needed to maintain a comfortable water temperature.
To cure a foot fungus, simply spray a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.
Hydrogen Peroxide Cancer Treatment
Add 2 capfuls of 3% hydrogen peroxide in warm distilled water once to twice a week to remove even chronic yeast infections.
Colonic or Enema:
For a colonic, add 1 cup (8 ozs.) 3% H202 to 5 gallons warm water. (Do not exceed this amount) For an enema, add 1 tablespoon of 3% H202 to a quart of warm distilled water.
Soak any infections or cuts in 3% for five to ten minutes several times a day. Even gangrene that would not heal with any medicine has been healed by soaking in hydrogen peroxide. Put half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your bath to help rid boils, fungus or other skin infections.
Patients infected by tiny mites report that hydrogen peroxide effectively kills the mites on their skins. They spray it on their skin a couple of times (with a few minutes in between the applications) with amazing results.
A tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide added to 1 cup of non-chlorinated water can be used as a nasal spray. Depending on the degree of sinus involvement, one will have to adjust the amount of peroxide used.
Some sources recommend soaking infections or cuts for five to ten minutes several times a day. However, washing and rinsing action is sufficient. You shouldn't leave the solution on open tissue for extended periods of time as, like many oxidative antiseptics, hydrogen perioxide causes mild damage to tissue in open wounds. Therefore it is important to use with caution.
Potential Hydrogen Peroxide Cancer Treatment:
- Supporter: Hydrogen Peroxide Cancer Treatment from Cancer Tutor
- Against: The American Cancer Society states that "there is no scientific evidence that hydrogen peroxide is a safe, effective or useful cancer treatment", and advises cancer patients to "remain in the care of qualified doctors who use proven methods of treatment and approved clinical trials of promising new treatments."
“De-skunk” a pet:
Following is a homemade formula for getting rid of the resulting awful smell after an unfortunate encounter with a skunk -- this formula has been used with success by others:
- 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup aluminum-free baking soda (such as Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda) (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 teaspoon liquid soap such as liquid castile
- Wet down your pet, apply the mixture working it thru the pet’s hair.
- Leave the solution on for 3-5 minutes keeping it away from the eyes and from inside the ears. rinse well.
- This solution is to be used soon after it has been prepared and is not to be stored.
Tooth Paste: For a healthier alternative to commercial brands, mix aluminum-free baking soda (such as Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda) either Aloe Vera Gel or 3% hydrogen peroxide (H202) to make a paste. Alternatively, simply dip your brush in 3% hydrogen peroxide (H202) and brush. TIP: Only use the hydrogen peroxide paste once a day (my dentist recommended the evenings) and use the Aloe Vera gel in the morning for its healing characteristics.
Note: If you have silver amalgam dental fillings, hydrogen peroxide may react with the mercury in these fillings potentially resulting in harmful fumes.
Healing Properties: Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. You will not have canker sores and your teeth will be whiter. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% hydrogen peroxide into your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.
Mouthwash: Many people don't realize that hydrogen peroxide makes a very effective and inexpensive mouthwash. Use 3% H202 - add a dash of liquid chlorophyll for flavoring if desired.
Toothbrush: Soaking your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide will help keep them free of harmful germs.
Tooth Ache: Hydrogen peroxide is not a pain killer; however, as an anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal agent, it is effective at treating the pathogen that is causing the infection. The following is from my own personal experience: My dentist wanted to give me a root canal some time ago as she said one tooth was inflamed and, in her opinion, would die. I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide (several times a day) as well as coconut oil (once a day). The discomfort went away and I have had no further problems with the tooth.
Tooth Whitening: Having used 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouth wash for sometime ago, I am thrilled to note that my teeth have been beautifully and effortlessly whitened. I used to pay so much for professional whitening, those silly strips and uncomfortable trays. Live and learn.
NOTE: Do not swallow any peroxide. When the peroxide rinse is done, be sure to rinse out your mouth with tap water.
Colonic or Enema:
For a colonic, add 1 cup (8 oz.) 3% H202 to 5 gallons of warm water. (Do not exceed this amount) For an enema, add 1 tablespoon of 3% H202 to a quart of warm distilled water.
Keep a spray bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the shower. Spray your body after washing avoiding the eyes, eyebrows, and hair.
Use 3% on a cotton ball as a facial freshener after washing. Keep away from eyebrows.
Peroxide is a bleaching agent and is used for lightened hair. Dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide with water (50 / 50) and spray the solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide burn blonde hair like the hair dye packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, faddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually so it's not a drastic change.
Hydrogen peroxide is used as a disinfectant in CIBA Vision's Clear Care no rub contact lens cleaning solution, due to its ability to break down the proteins that build up on the lense from the eye's immune response, resulting in increased comfort for those with sensitive eyes.
Sanitizing / Disinfectant / Cleaning:
- Straight or Diluted Hydrogen Perioxide:
- Clean your counters and table tops with hydrogen peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean glass and mirrors with no smearing.
- Keep a spray bottle of 3% (straight) to disinfect the interior of the refrigerator and kids' school lunch boxes.
- In the Dishwasher: Add 2 oz. of 3% hydrogen peroxide to your regular washing formula.
- Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour or spray hydrogen peroxide (and then vinegar) on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.
- I use peroxide to clean my mirrors with, there is no smearing.
- Combination of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide makes a cheap, effective, and non-toxic disinfectant agent and is said to be more effective at killing pathogens than bleach. As it is non-toxic, you can use it to disinfect fruits and vegetables, as well as pet toys, equipment, and cages. In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide mists, kills virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces.
- You need TWO spray bottles. DO NOT MIX the solutions together. Put straight vinegar in one and straight hydrogen peroxide in the other spray bottle. NOTE: Light destroys peroxide rather quickly. It's best to leave it in its original bottle and screw in a spray head.
- DO NOT DILUTE THEM.
- Remember for any sanitizer to work properly, the surface has to be clean before you use it.
- When you want to sanitize a surface (vegetables, cutting board, counters, sink, cages, toys. toilets, floors, etc.), spray one (it doesn't matter which one you use first) on the surface, then you spray on the other. When they mix, for a brief time the chemical action of the two makes a very powerful sanitizer. You can rinse off the surface afterward if you want, but the result is non-toxic.
- Fortunately it is cheap. BTW, we use it in the bathroom to sanitize the counters, toilets, floors, etc.
Clean with hydrogen peroxide when your house becomes a biohazard after its invaded by toxic mold, such as those with water damage.
Use 1 pint 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon of water.
Laundry / Stain Removing:
3% Hydrogen Peroxide is the best stain lifter if used fairly soon - although blood stains as old as 2 days have been successfully lifted with Hydrogen Peroxide. Although it will bleach or discolor many fabrics. If a little peroxide is poured onto the stain it will bubble up in the area of the blood, due to a reaction with catalase. After a few minutes the excess liquid can be wiped up with a cloth or paper towel and the stain will be gone.
3% H2O2 must be applied to clothing before blood stains can be accidentally "set" with heated water. Cold water and soap are then used to remove the peroxide-treated blood.
You can also add a cup of hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse it with cold water. Repeat if necessary.
Peroxide is a perfect alternate solution to keep those clothes white. Also, when chlorinating clothes, they tend to wear out faster - peroxide won't do that.
Use as a vegetable wash or soak to kill bacteria and neutralize chemicals. Add 1/4 cup 3% H202 to a full sink of cold water. Soak light-skinned (light lettuce) for 20 minutes, and thicker-skinned (like cucumbers) for 30 minutes. Drain, dry, and refrigerate. Prolongs freshness.
If time is a problem, spray vegetables (and fruits) with a solution of 3%. Let stand for a few minutes, rinse and dry.
You can also use it to rinse off your meat before cooking.
Leftover tossed salad:
Spray with a solution of 1/2 cup water and 1 Tbsp. 5%. Drain, cover, and refrigerate.
Place meat, fish or poultry in a casserole (avoid using aluminum pans). Cover with a dilute solution of equal parts of water and 3% H202. Place loosely covered in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour. Rinse and cook.
Add 1 ounce of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 pint of water and soak the seeds overnight. Add the same amount of hydrogen peroxide each time you rinse the seeds.
Pesticides / Insecticides / Fungicides:
Mix 8 ounces black strap molasses or white sugar, and 8 ounces 3% hydrogen peroxide in 1 gallon of water.ugh, as you are supposed to avoid direct contact with it. Discuss with your doctor.
House and Garden Plants:
Put 1 oz 3% hydrogen peroxide in 1 quart of water. Water or mist plants with this solution. 8. Use it on trees and plants as a natural fungicide, insecticide, and as weed killer. Some gardeners advocate the use of hydrogen peroxide in watering solutions as they claim that its spontaneous decomposition releases oxygen that enhances a plant's root development and helps to treat root rot (cellular root death due to lack of oxygen).
Vinegar Fungicide: Mix 3 tablespoons of natural apple cider vinegar in one gallon of water. Spray during the cool part of the day. Adding 1 tablespoon of molasses per gallon will increase effectiveness.
Potassium Bicarbonate or Baking Soda: Mix 1 heaped tablespoon of potassium bicarbonate or aluminum-free baking soda (such as Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda) and 1 tablespoon of horticultural oil into one gallon of water (Citrus Oil and Molasses can be substituted instead of the horticultural oil). Spray lightly on infected foliage.
Laboratory tests conducted by fish culturists in recent years have demonstrated that common household hydrogen peroxide can be used safely to provide oxygen for small fish. Hydrogen peroxide releases oxygen by decomposition when it is exposed to catalysts such as manganese dioxide. In one test, 25 fries (2 cm long) were put into each of two one-quart bottles of water. Then, during a three-day period, 12 drops of hydrogen peroxide were added to one bottle, and none to the other. The result: 100 % of the treated fry survived and 100 % of the untreated fry perished. (Ref.: http://www.fws.gov and http://www.great-lakes.org) ... The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified hydrogen peroxide as a Low Regulatory Priority (LRP) drug for use in controlling fungus on fish and fish eggs.
GreenAndHealthy.Info strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!