Water Testing / Water Filtration
|Water Filtration Systems - a great selection of Water Pitchers with Filters, Reverse Osmosis Systems, Faucet Filters, Camping / RV Filters & Water Purifiers|
Shower Filters: Volatile organics can evaporate from water in a shower or bath - during a long shower the toxic chemicals are inhaled in high concentrations.
What is in your drinking & bathing water:
Our drinking and bathing water is likely to contain:
- Chlorine: Chlorine is universally used to disinfect water, killing bacteria and other micoorganisms. But once it arrives in your home, chlorine can negatively affect your family's long-term health, comfort, and even personal appearance.
According to the U.S. Council Of Environmental Quality, "Cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine."
- Fuoride associated with lower IQ & alzheimer's disease, damaged liver & kidney functions, bone cancer and other forms of cancers, poisoning (children specifically), bone fractures, altered endocrine function
- Aluminum: One study (McLachlan, et al. 1996) found a 250% increase of Alzheimer's disease in people drinking municipal water with high aluminum levels for 10 years or more.
- Pharmaceuticals: A 5-month Associated Press investigation revealed traces of pharmaceuticals in the drinking water supplies of 41 million Americans, including antidepressants, sex hormones, antibiotics and other drugs. The drinking water of 24 metropolitan areas - including Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington, DC - were tested after it went through the normal filtration process and it was found that the treatment plants are unequipped to filter these contaminants out. Even bottled water isn't safe and 40% of them contain repacked tap water. The best solution is a filter - a nanofiltration and reverse-osmosis systems have been shown to remove several drugs.
Our drinking and bathing water may contain:
There is a database that allows you to check the quality of the tap water in your community. http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/yourwater/index.php. You can also check the water quality in your area by calling the EPA's Drinking Water Hotline at (800) 246-4791.
If you use a private well, test your water every year for nitrates and bacteria. Depending on where you live, you may also want to test for pesticides, organic chemicals or radon.
Bottled Water: When buying bottled water, purified water is better than spring water, as purified water will go through processes to remove contaminants / bacteria, while spring water can be taken from just about any place.
- How safe is your favorite brand? Click here for a summary of NRDC's Test Results on Bottled Water Contaminants
Water & Your Health: "At birth you were about 75% water. If you make it past 95 and die of old age, you will be about 25% water. You will have transformed from a plum to a raisin in your 95 plus years. This is called age-related dehydration. Therefore, one of the most important anti-aging strategies is to remain well hydrated at all times."
Mineral Water: The minerals in mineral water are inorganic and they crystallize in the body, both inside and outside the circulatory system. When they crystallize outside the circulatory system, they cause such problems as arthritis. When they crystallize inside the circulatory system, they are deposited in the walls of your arteries and, over the years, contribute to the plaque formation of atherosclerosis. It is generally agreed that this is not a good source of water.
Home Water Filtration Systems (Whole House, Reverse Osmosis, Water Faucets, Pitchers / Dispensers, etc.)
Shower Filters - Most of our tap water is chlorinated and fluoridated, and both chemicals are drying to skin and hair, and contribute to respiratory problems. But shower filters are relatively inexpensive and very easy to install. These filters remove most of the chemicals in the water, allowing us to breathe easy and helping to preserve moisture in our skin and hair - generally contributes to a healthy home environment.