The below provides a general overview on this topic and may not apply to everyone. Any treatment protocol should be discussed with a qualified healthcare practitioner ... Please refer to: Medical & Legal Disclaimer.
The Lung as Toxin Remover:
The lungs' two most important roles in removing toxins entail the excretion of carbon dioxide in your breath as well as muscular movement that boosts the circulation of lymph and blood. This internal circulation transports toxins to where they can be effectively eliminated.
- Smoking (including second-hand exposure): Long-term exposure to tobacco increases your risk for lung cancer, respiratory infections, other lung problems, and possibly heart disease.
- Exposure to Radon - a cancer-causing natural radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell or taste.Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America and claims about 20,000 lives annually. (EPA Website)
- Researchers discovered that asbestos fibers are small enough to be inhaled into the lungs and can scar lung tissue, cause lung cancer and mesothelioma - a fairly uncommon cancer of the lining of the lung or abdominal cavity. Click here for more information on this topic.
Every smoker should insist on an annual spiral CT lung scan. It can spot a lung tumor as small as a grain of rice. In recent studies, 4 out of 5 lung cancers were caught at a treatable stage -- a lifesaving difference.
If one starts coughing mucus tinged with blood, one should see a doctor. In cases, doctors may conduct tests to see if the cause is a serious condition such as lung cancer or tuberculosis.
Which Kills Smokers: Camels or Carrots? Are Smokers Getting Lung Cancer From Beta-Carotene?
Clean Air is the Key:
Nutrition is very important. The following food items are said to help with the following health conditions. Please click on the links for supportive information.
- Cancer Juicing or Juice Therapy
- Cruciferous vegetables: According to a new study conducted jointly with US and Chinese researchers, chemicals found in broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, and other cruciferous vegetables may protect against lung cancer . The researchers studied more than 18,000 men and recorded 259 cases of lung cancer during the study's follow-up period. They found that the men with detectable amounts of chemicals known as isothiocyanates in their bodies had a 36% lower chance of developing lung cancer over 10 years. Researchers from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) in North Carolina along with colleagues in China performed the study in four small communities in Shanghai. Isothiocyanates are found in broccoli and other so called "cruciferous" vegetables.
The study is the first to link levels of isothiocyanates with a decrease in cancer risk, as previous studies had relied on dietary questionnaires that give no information on absorption or blood levels. Though the chemicals did lower cancer risk by 36% in this study, smoking alone increases lung cancer risk by as much as 10 times. The researchers think that isothiocyanates fight cancer by promoting the production of antioxidants and by inhibiting enzymes that allow carcinogens in cigarette smoke to damage DNA. Isothiocyanates are not commercially available in pill form, and being that there are more than 20 different isothiocyanates, it is doubtful that a supplement would be able to duplicate the proper mix of these chemicals to get the same benefit. According to one of the researchers, it is best to eat the vegetables, rather than taking supplements. Source: The Lancet August 26th 2000;356:724-729
- Turmeric - a potent antioxidant - is said to benefit our breathing capacity.
- Milk Thistle: Laboratory tests showed distinct benefits of milk thistle derivatives in protecting the lung.
- Cod Liver Oil: In a study of Norwegian men and women, consumption of cod liver oil was found to protect against lung cancer.
- Recommended Produce: Corn (lung cancer) ... Cantaloupe ... Carrots ... Collard Greens ... Kale ... Mustard Greens ... Winter Squash ... Swiss Chard ... Turnip Greens ... Papaya ... Sweet Potatoes / Yams ... Apples... Sesame Seeds
(Note: Please discuss with your holistic doctor)
Information contained on this website is provided as general reference only. For application to specific circumstances, professional advice should be sought.
GreenAndHealthy.Info strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!