Castor Oil Packs & Treatments
The below provides a general overview on this topic and may not apply to everyone. Any treatment protocol should be discussed with a qualified healthcare practitioner ... Please refer to: Medical & Legal Disclaimer.
Other webpages of interest ...
The benefits of castor oil packs
Placed over the abdomen it is said to promote proper kidney and liver function, healthy bowel eliminations, good digestion, regular menstrual cycles, better assimilation of nutrients and increased lymphatic circulation and cleansing. It is said to "draw out" cysts and reduce tumors and help with painful / inflamed joints.
Castor oil can be found in any drug stores, in the laxative isle (as it is commonly used as a laxative). However, for detoxification purposes, it is best to choose a high-quality cold-pressed grade available at health food stores.
How to prepare and apply a castor oil pack:
- Preparing the castor oil pack:
- A castor oil pack is made by soaking a piece of flannel in high-quality cold-pressed castor oil, then putting it on the affected joint or organ (see below) and placing a heat source, such as a hot water bottle, on top of it.
- Do not use oil that has becomes rancid.
- Common area to apply castor oil pack is on the right side of the abdomen, between the upper part of the rib cage and the upper edge of the hipbone.
- It is also frequently applied across the abdomen, from the right to the left side of the body
- Recommended duration:
- 30 to 90 minutes, about 3 to 5 days a week at a time.
- It is best to consult your health care practitioner to determine frequency of application.
- Always seek medical advice prior to use.
- Do NOT use during pregnancy or during menstrual flow.
The Castor Oil & Milk Shake:
Its primary use is a stimulant laxative. It may cause nausea, vomiting, and abdominal cramping. The general recommendation is 1 to 2 ounces mixed with milk or juice to make it palatable. It's best to follow the directions on the bottle.
Alternative liver cleanse:
Mix 40 ml castor oil with milk and shake for 5 minutes - drink on an empty stomach in the morning. Castor oil internally is a very drastic purgative and interrupts the enterohepatic cycle, which results in a heavy release of toxins built up in the liver. Patients report feeling the effect of all the toxins leaving their bodies.
Induction of Labor:
If you are 40 weeks and showing signs of labor, castor oil may induce labor. If you have begun to dilate and efface already, this will increase your chances of castor oil being effective at labor induction. It is believed that castor oil works to stimulate the bowels which can lead to cramps and tightening of the muscles in the intestines. These cramps may spread to the uterus, tightening the uterine muscles and stimulating contractions
- You should not try castor oil if you have not reached your due date or have a high risk pregnancy.
- There are some concerns about the safety of castor oil. Some reports show a correlation between meconium in the amniotic fluid and castor oil. However, many believe that it is more a co-occurring symptom of overdue babies. Castor oil is used most frequently in overdue pregnancies. Since overdue babies have an increased chance of having meconium in the amniotic fluid, many believe the overdue baby is the cause of the meconium and not the castor oil.
How to use: Most midwives recommend using 2 ounces mixed with milk or juice, or even ice cream. Source(s): http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070120185624AA49enm
NOTE: Before using castor oil you should consult your health care provider.
Specific Applications & Relevant Research:
General recommendation is to place the pack over the liver for at least an hour or overnight. The liver is located on the right side of the body underneath the rib cage.
Tumors / Cysts:
Warm castor oil packs may help dissolve lumps and relieve pain. Sometimes lumps will shrink after only a few applications. General treatment protocol: three hours, three times a week. (Ref.: "Alternative Cancer Therapies)
General Health Concerns:
Applications also include abdominal complaints, headaches, inflammatory conditions, muscle pains, skin eruptions and lesions (apply to affected areas)
Enhanced Immunological Function:
A double-blind study, described by Harvey Grady in a report entitled Immunomodulation through Castor Oil Packs published in a recent issue of the Journal of Naturopathic Medicine, examined lymphocyte values of 36 healthy subjects before and after topical castor oil application. This study identified castor oil as an anti-toxin, and as having impact on the lymphatic system, enhancing immunological function. The study found that castor oil pack therapy of a minimal two-hour duration produced an increase in the number of T-11 cells within a 24-hour period following treatment, with a concomitant increase in the number of total lymphocytes. This T-11 cell increase represents a general boost in the body's specific defense status, since lymphocytes actively defend the health of the body by forming antibodies against pathogens and their toxins. T-cells identify and kill viruses, fungi, bacteria, and cancer cells. Castor oil packs are a simple home therapy which often produces astounding results.
Two separate studies found that patients using abdominal castor oil packs had significant increases in the production of lymphocytes compared to those using placebo packs. Lymphocytes are the disease-fighting cells produced by your immune system and housed mainly in lymphatic tissue. For example, poor lymphatic drainage of the heart can lead to tissue damage and even heart failure. Similar problems can occur in the liver, kidneys, and other organs. When castor oil is absorbed through the skin from packs, several events take place. The lymphocyte count of the blood increases. The flow of lymph increases throughout the body, speeding up the removal of toxins surrounding the cells and reducing the size of swollen lymph nodes. The end result is a general overall improvement in organ function with a lessening of fatigue and depression. Additionally, as toxicity is reduced, the pH of the saliva becomes less acidic, and the Peyer's patches in the small intestines more efficiently absorb fatty acids, which are essential for the formation of hormones and other components necessary for growth and repair.
GreenAndHealthy.Info strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!